Dog Veterinarians Who Really Care
At The Family Pet, our approach to canine veterinary medicine revolves around a comprehensive, competent, and compassionate care program, aimed at ensuring the highest quality of life for your dog.
A Comprehensive Approach To Canine Veterinary Medicine
We understand that a dog veterinarian is only as good as his or her ability to successfully prevent, diagnose, and treat whatever ailment a dog may be facing. Equally as important is our ability to listen and communicate well with owners to make sure they understand their dog's health concerns and how to make the best choices for their dog. This is why our dog hospital is capable of handling any procedure, including preventive care, medical diagnosis, and emergency surgery.
We specialize in the following dog health services for dogs of all ages, breeds, and circumstances:
Acute Care: This is why we are here! To help your dog in their time of need. We save time every day for acute care appointments so that our canine patients can be treated as soon as they become injured or ill without an expensive trip to the ER. We will make every effort to fit your dog in and if we do not have an appointment available, we will usually fit your dog in as a ”drop-off”. Please call us (206) 784-3810
What conditions fall under “Acute Care”?
Any injury, fall, severe lameness, dog or raccoon bite, abscess, laceration, wound, hot spots (scratching the skin until it is raw) bleeding tumor, painful urination, inability to urinate, urinating small, frequent amounts, bloody urine, inability to defecate, dehydration, any dog not eating or drinking for more than a day, fever, eye conditions (scratches, discharge, holding eye closed), yellowing of the skin, recent bouts of diarrhea and/or vomiting, ingestion of poisons or foreign body (eg a toys, corn cobs, bones, rocks), collapse, seizures, loss of use of limbs. If you have any doubt about whether your dog needs to be seen right away please give us a call
- Allergy testing: Dogs are commonly exposed to a number of allergens through a variety of routes; inhaled, ingested, and skin exposure. Once in the body these substances can cause disease in many different organ systems causing a variety of symptoms such as itchy skin and ears, licking at paws, ear infections, hot spots, diarrhea, vomiting, or breathing issues. Allergy testing is an easy way to identify what your dog is allergic to and, if possible, remove from their environment. Even without knowing the specific allergy your dog faces, we have many new and very effective treatment options to reduce their symptoms and make them more comfortable.
- Anesthesia: We have state-of-the-art facilities, equipment, medicine and knowledge to ensure your dog stays safe under anesthesia.
- Bathing and hygiene: Proper canine grooming and hygiene is an important component of a healthy happy lifestyle. Not all dogs are physically able to accomplish this. We provide sanitary clips, nail trims, de-matting and full body shaves for dogs. We can provide sedation if necessary
- Behavior services: Your dog’s behavior is not all genetic, it can be learned and unlearned with your commitment and our help. Many dogs experience anxiety that interferes with their quality of life and affects their behavior. We can help your dog with medication and advice on their care to make them more comfortable.
- Cancer treatment: Our communicative, community approach to cancer treatment makes all of the difference for you and your dog. We work with local veterinary oncologists to provide treatment modalities that are not available at our hospital. We provide initial workups, metastasis checks, surgical removal of cancers and follow up testing in concert with your oncologist.
- Cardiology: Our knowledgeable veterinarians can diagnose and treat common cardiovascular diseases of the dogs. We work with local veterinary cardiology specialists for more complicated cases and those where advanced imaging is beneficial. You dog’s care is a collaboration between you, us and the cardiologist, all communicating together to provide your dog the best care.
- Dental care: Our veterinarians are very experienced in canine dental care. We will work with you to prevent dental disease and teach you how to provide home dental care for your dog. This is an important responsibility that will reduce the pain and tooth loss in your dog. Should your dog’s dental disease require treatment, our skilled veterinarians can provide treatment in our dental suite which is state-of-the-art and fully equipped to handle any condition including periodontal disease and extractions.
- Dermatology: Skin diseases in dogs can get out of hand quickly and make your dog miserable. That’s why timely and thorough diagnosis is necessary. Our knowledgeable veterinarians can diagnose most conditions quickly in our in-house laboratory and get your dog on the road to recovery. If your dog is scratching and chewing themselves raw, they need to be seen right away.
- Deworming and Parasite prevention: Parasites, be they on the skin, in the intestines or in the heart are a danger to your pet. Several of the intestinal parasites such as giardia and roundworms are contagious to humans. We will ensure that your dog is treated for parasites and advise you on a parasite prevention plan that is right for you and your dog to stay safe.
- Diagnostic imaging: Our facility has state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment not found most local practices. NewTom Computed Tomography (CT), Digital whole body x-ray, Digital dental x-ray and GE Ultrasound. Our fine detailed imaging allows our veterinarians to accurately diagnose your dog’s condition so that we can quickly move on to the proper treatment. We also have aBoard Certified Veterinary Radiologist that visits our hospital every week to perform detailed diagnostic ultrasounds of our patients. This allows your dog to get a specialty service without you having to travel and pay extra at a specialty hospital.
- Emergency care: We provide comprehensive emergency care to our patients and can address any emergencies your dog may have. Dr Schneider has been practicing since before emergency clinics existed and is experienced in many emergency surgeries.
- Flea & Tick: Preventing fleas and ticks is cheaper, easier and more comfortable for your pet than treating these parasites and the diseases they cause. Your dog will be healthier and happier with regular parasite prevention. We carry a variety of safe and effective products and will recommend the best fit for you and your dog
- Grooming: We can ensure that your dog's grooming is perfectly matched to his or her lifestyle
- Heartworm prevention: We specialize in heartworm education and medical prevention, as well as treatment for your dog
- Hospice Care: Our goal is for all of our patients to have a long, healthy life. When disease strikes, we will work with you to ensure your dog is comfortable and their disease is managed best to reduce symptoms and improve their quality of life. We will help you assess their quality of life and support your decisions for end of life care when the time comes.
- Laboratory tests: Our modern in-house laboratory means we can get faster test results and a more accurate diagnosis without the time delay of an off-site lab. This is important in critically ill dogs that need immediate diagnosis and treatment to improve their prognosis.
- Laser therapy: Our K laser is a cold laser therapy used in dogs to reduce pain and speed healing time in the body. It is painless, very well tolerated by dogs and very effective when used post operatively, to reduce arthritis pain, to speed wound healing and to reduce inflammation. It is even effective at healing chronic wounds like lick granulomas.
- Medications and Pharmacy: When your dog requires medication our veterinarians will provide the right prescription and in a formulation your dog is most likely to take. Our in-house pharmacy allows us to fill hard to find veterinary drugs and sizes right away and get your dog feeling better immediately
- Microchip ID: Microchipping is the best way to get your dog returned safely should they become lost. As an added bonus, our microchips show your dog’s temperature when read which your dog will really appreciate!
- Nutrition: Dr Schneider has over 4 years of animal nutrition education and our staff has regular continuing education in pet nutrition. Dogs have different nutritional requirements based on their age, metabolism, allergies and chronic conditions. Many diseases in dogs are primarily controlled using specialized nutrition. We are uniquely qualified to provide individualized nutritional guidance for your dog. We also carry common veterinary diets from Hill’s, Purina and Royal Canin right in our office.
- Pain management: We specialize in customized, effective, and compassionate pain management for your dog regardless of age, ability or condition
- Preventive care: Our comprehensive preventive care program helps you make sure your dog remains healthy and well year-round
- Puppy care: We will partner with you to make sure your puppy has the best care and you have all the information we need to care for your new family member
- Sedation: We do everything we can to reduce the stress dogs are under while visiting us by using fear free and low stress handling techniques and anti-anxiety medications. Sometimes this is not enough and we need to work with your dog to get lab samples and images so we can get a diagnosis and begin treatment. Therefore, we may ask you to return later with your dog on an oral sedative that you give at home. In some cases, we will ask to sedate your dog with a safe and reversible sedative injection. These options are better for your dog’s mental and physical health and improve the outcomes.
- Senior care: Our comprehensive senior care protocols and procedures helps you to help your dog age gracefully, healthily, and happily
- Semi-annual wellness exams: A cornerstone of preventive care, semi-annual wellness exams are key to staying on top of chronic health issues and getting ahead of problems that may be developing
- Spay or neuter: Our refined pre surgical, surgical and post-op care will provide your dog with the safest and most comfortable surgical procedure
- Surgery: Our facilities, expert surgeons, and technicians will make sure your dog is cared for before, during, and after surgery
- Urgent Care: We are here for you! Call now (206) 784-3810. We save time every day for acute care appointments so that our canine patients can be treated as soon as they become injured or ill without an expensive trip to the ER. We will make every effort to fit your pet in and if we do not have an appointment available, we will fit your pet in as a ”drop-off”
- Vaccinations: Our veterinarians and techs will customize vaccination protocols that account for your dog's age, medical history, environment, travel habits, and lifestyle
A Commitment To Quality And Empathy In Veterinary Care For Dogs
Our veterinarians, technicians, assistants, and front staff work together to provide both you and your dog with a compassionate and professional experience. From the initial phone call, it is our goal to make sure you feel that your concerns are addressed, you are well informed, and that your dog receives the best care possible.